[WEB4LIB] Re: A lesson to be learnt from the Britannica site?

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Wed Nov 24 11:57:16 EST 1999

> >However, I'm not sure this is good... Could not an argument be made that
> >registering "CompanyNameSucks" (especially 200 versions thereof)
> is stifling free speech?
>
> I don't think so.

Yes, but I had better never see GWB (if elected president) sign any sort of
anti-cybersquating bills. Come on, 200 domains. I just believe that someone
willing to go to that length is way to insecure to be president. There is no
legitimate reason to do this other than to stifle potential criticism.

The case of registering one or two other domains may be a different story.
And actually, I think that since it took me so long to get the spelling of
Britannica down that maybe they did register the misspellings more to make
sure people got to where they wanted to go, not just to avoid porn or
anti-Britannica sites.

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
The WWW Library Directory is @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Buy books, music or videos online? http://www.dealpilot.com/?partner=1307

Child: Do not try to bend the spoon, that is impossible.
       Just realize the truth.
Neo:   What is the truth?
Child: There is no spoon.	-- The Matrix

Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.