[WEB4LIB] Re: A lesson to be learnt from the Britannica site?

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Nov 24 11:40:58 EST 1999

At 08:03 AM 11/24/99 -0800, Michael Sauers wrote:
>George W. Bush registered something like 200 domains in this same strategy.
>However, I'm not sure this is good... Count not an argument be made that
>registering "CompanyNameSucks" (especially 200 versions thereof) is stifling
>free speech?

I don't think so.  I doubt even the ACLU would think so.  After all, I
could put up an anti-Bush or anti-EB at 84.com or elsewhere and market it
like crazy and get almost the same results.  www.84.com/britannicasucks
wouldn't be too hard for folks to remember.

Maybe Britannica is holding the name so that they can introduce a new
product next year featuring the slogan "Britannica Sucks All Information
Into Our Encyclopedia".  o-)  Considering a lot of the commercials I've
seen this year, that wouldn't be too unlikely.

But basically, the folks who don't like Britannica for whatever reason
could have bought the name before May....they had years to do it.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165