[WEB4LIB] Thin clients anyone ?

josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us
Wed Nov 24 10:54:38 EST 1999

> Has anyone thought about implementing thin clients technology in their
> library ?

I think about this from time to time and always come up against the
same problems:

1. When retailers of thin-clients talk about savings they are almost
always talking about the total-cost of ownership. I always take this
as meaning even though a server and our clients will cost more up
front this will save you money in not having to hire more people to
manage PCs. Since, at least at the moment, I'm the only one here
managing PCs and the Network our cost of ownership is the purchase
cost. Compare an HP or NCD thin-client with the PC at http://www.barbiepc.com and ask yourself what's the better deal.

2. I haven't been exposed to Cicatrix Winframe. The library system here tested it as a means of supporting remote locations with unsatisfactory results.

3. I did use NCD X-terminals, they were half-way decent monitors with
keyboard, mouse, and 8M of ram, and X-server software in their roms,
when I worked at a university a few years back. As far as I can tell,
the cheapest thin client set up is to use a Linux Server with old pc's
configured to work as X-terminals. Linux newsgroups and mailing list
have many people contributing who suggest configuring old PX as
X-terminals as an ideal use of older 486 PCs. (Put in Ram and a
network card, take out the hard drive and CD, then get it to boot
through tftp off a floppy, and voila a thin-client.) Though this
solution requires a good amount of technical skill.

4. If you already have a satisfactory means of getting PCs up and
running I can't see any potential savings at all.

Josh Kuperman                       josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us
Saratoga Springs Public Library     phone (518) 584-7860 x 211
49 Henry St                         fax   (518) 584-7866
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866