[WEB4LIB] Thin clients anyone ?

Matthew Beacom matthew.beacom at yale.edu
Tue Nov 23 17:10:20 EST 1999

I've been thinking about it fairly seriously since I saw a comment about
Sun Microsystem's Sun Ray 1 "enterprise appliance" in the latest _American
Libraries_ (David Dorman's column "Technically Speaking").

I think there are 2 big advantages overall (at least potentially).

1. price -- it could be cheaper. Dorman mentions a price that would be
about $1,000.00 (US) per appliance (including the servers that support 10
appliances each). That's just the Sun product. I don't know about other
products, yet.
2. cheaper/easier support and development.

Yale Library is NOT considering it. I am just thinking about it.

Matthew Beacom

At 11:56 AM 11/23/99 -0800, Hanan Cohen wrote:

>Has anyone thought about implementing thin clients technology in their
>library ?

Matthew Beacom
Catalog Librarian for Networked Information Resources
Yale University Library
(203) 432-4947
matthew.beacom at yale.edu
http://www.library.yale.edu/~mbeacom