Netscape print - Document size

Paul H. Gray dekerivers at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 19:25:40 EST 1999

On Wednesday, November 17, 1999 3:42 PM, marty williams [SMTP:martyw at camtech.net.au] wrote:
> An solution we have implemented to remove the piles of unwanted and
> uncollected paper is to have print queueing at the reference desk.. . .
>From the size of the file on the queue we can determine the size.

OK -- I --have-- to ask
How can you determine the size of a print job based upon the size of its file in the queue??
In the days of ASCII files, impact printers and flint knives there were some rules of thumb.
But today --
A 100K file could be dozens of pages of text -- or one, not terribly large or complex, picture.
What am I missing??
We too pause queues until the patron comes to pay for the print job -- and would LOVE to be
able to tell them in advance how many pages the job would be.
Thanks
Paul H. Gray
TCCD Northeast Library
Hurst, TX