[WEB4LIB] Is Netscape dead? I asked Jeeves

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Thu Nov 18 12:35:30 EST 1999

> But, seriously, are most others in agreement with Dan Lester's post
> (portions below) and is there really no other choice but IE?

Yes, it appears to be good and dead.  As for other choices, sure there are
some, but I don't think they're as good (at least not yet) as IE.

I think it's dead not because of the Microsoft Monopoly Machine (although
that played a bit of a part) but because IE (and some of the other browsers)
became better (in terms of features, functionality, support for standards)
and Netscape didn't keep up.

Lots of people have complained about the bugs in IE4 and 5, but I've found
both versions far less buggy than the Netscape 4.x products.  The most
common phrase I hear about Netscape 4.7 is "Whoa!  Is that crap.  Better put
4.6 back on."

I choose to just ignore it and hope it goes away.

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc.                        Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Programmer/Analyst                            http://gollum.usask.ca/
  Consulting & Development, Computing Services
  University of Saskatchewan                   "The Truth Is Out There"