[WEB4LIB] MS Site not visible with NS 4.61?

Gary E. Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Mon Nov 15 11:54:52 EST 1999

At 08:45 AM 11/15/1999 -0800, Alicia Abramson wrote:
>Can someone else who runs Netscape Communicator 4.61 check this out so I
>can figure out if it's just my computer?  When I connect to
>support.microsoft.com to search the knowledgebase with NS 4.61, I get 3
>frames:
>a top horizontal frame with site navigation links, a left hand vertical
>frame with page specific navigation/customization options, and a large
>right hand frame that is empty.  This is where the search interface for the
>Microsoft support site should reside--in my NS 4.61 browser, it is empty.
>
>If I use MS Internet Explorer 5.0 the page displays correctly.  This has
>periodically happened to me over the last year or so, and it seems to be
>corrected for awhile when I upgrade Netscape.  However, it feeds into my
>suspicion that Microsoft designs their sites to be inaccessible to
>Netscape--but I don't know technically what that involves.  Is it just a
>bug in Netscape?
>

>*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>Alicia Abramson
>Director, Library Information Systems
>University Library
>California State University, Sacramento
>abramson at csus.edu
>*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Alicia:

I am using Netscape 4.61 and often have trouble with the knowledgebase.
Often it will not let me select a product.  The arrow bar does not work.
Then for no apparent reason it will work, but I can not type in a search.
Then I can.  When I try to modify a search it will not let me change part,
but I have to type in all of it new.  The highlight either highlights all
of the phrase or none.  I don't know if this is they way it works with IE,
since I took it off my workstation.

But it seems to be much the same as your problem.

Regards,

Gary Masters
Gary E. Masters
Automated Services Librarian