[WEB4LIB]

Charles P. Hobbs transit at primenet.com
Fri Nov 12 19:12:35 EST 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us wrote:

> I'd like to know the easiest way to set up NetScape (and/or MSIE) so
> they will work for other linguistic communities. I have had requests
> or know that there have been people in the library who might wish to
> browse pages in Russian, Hindi, Chinese, and Hebrew. I also know we
> get speakers of languages using the same alphabet, but that the web
> pages in French and Spanish do not always display correctly. I would

I just download MSIE 5, asking for all the language packs. Arabic,
Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hebrew and Vietnamese, at least, are all
supported. Also, Cyrillic and Greek. No Hindi, though.

Never had problems with other Latin-alphabet languages that I know of
either.

We get a lot of people browsing in Chinese (don't know how they'd enter
information into a Chinese form, search engine, etc.) and it seems to
display ok. Sometimes, though, MSIE won't switch back to the regular Latin
font when moving from a Chinese page to an English page. (No, the English
page doesn't come out in Chinese, but it uses the Latin characters
included within the Chinese font--a little wierd looking because of the
spacing)