[WEB4LIB]

Catherine Lavallée catherine at lavallee.com
Fri Nov 12 17:22:17 EST 1999

>I'd like to know the easiest way to set up NetScape (and/or MSIE) so
>they will work for other linguistic communities. I have had requests
>or know that there have been people in the library who might wish to
>browse pages in Russian, Hindi, Chinese, and Hebrew. I also know we
>get speakers of languages using the same alphabet, but that the web
>pages in French and Spanish do not always display correctly. I would
>like it if anyone sitting down who spoke a foreign language could
>browse web pages in that language. Since I have NetScape set with the
>us-english default settings in this library, I know I am far away from
>this.

<snip>

If Netscape is not mandatory, you could check out the Tango browser
(http://www.alis.com )

It allows browsing, displaying and filling of forms on the web in
multiple languages depending on the linguistic modules you choose.

(You can get the site (in French) to be translated into English
automatically with a translating box on the right side of the screen.)

Catherine Lavallée
Infothécaire - projet Un toit virtuel
Confédération québécoise des coopératives d'habitation
http://www.coop-habitation.org/
clavallee at cqch.qc.ca
(418) 648-6758