[WEB4LIB] In re includes

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 7 00:51:42 EST 1999

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Karen G. Schneider wrote:

> A little SSI tip.  In re
> http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9909/0298.html not only should
> you insure that the includes have the appropriate extension (they will run
> with an .html extension but you take a big performance hit)...

I agree with Karen on a lot of things, but for this small thing I must
take exception. After wrestling long and hard with my sysadmins over SSIs,
I finally located a message from someone that said that they had detected
no performance hit from parsing *all* html files for SSIs (this allows you
to keep the standard ".html" extension). This was the piece of evidence
that put me over the top, and we have been parsing *all* of our html
documents ever since, with *no* detectable performance hit. And in prime
time, we do 10,000 real (non image) hits an hour. Sure, your mileage may
vary, but don't always take the common wisdom at face value.
Roy Tennant