[WEB4LIB] RE: GIFs, Unisys, and Greed

prestam at okstate.edu prestam at okstate.edu
Tue Nov 9 17:08:13 EST 1999

Thanks for digging up the quote from the Unisys site Peter. Part of the
difficulty here, as I see it, is that it is often difficult to know the
origin of an image.  For example, we sign an agreement for online access
with a vendor, and they provide us with a gif for our link to them.
They've given us permission, so copyright/trademark is not an issue, but it
seems Unisys would **like** to require us to get a release from the vendor
documenting the image's birthright.

How many people use a Yahoo gif on their Website?  Anybody know how it was
created?

Anne Prestamo, Coordinator
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University
prestam at okstate.edu

>Peter Jorgensen wrote:
On the other hand, consider the following from the Unisys website:

"The new one-time license fee is intended for those Web site operators
who are concerned that they may not be covered by another license....
Youll be able to deal with any vendors, developers, services or Webmasters
whether they have an LZW license agreement from Unisys or not. You wont
have
to go to the trouble of verifying that each vendor is licensed by Unisys."
(http://www.unisys.com/unisys/lzw/lzw-license.asp)