VT terminal migration to PC's

Sandra L. Eckert eckerts3 at earthlink.net
Sun May 30 11:53:27 EDT 1999

Riverside Public Library is looking for experiences, information, or
advice that any of you would like to share. The Library is currently in
the process of putting together a technology plan that will encompass
the migration of our VT terminals to PC's for access to WEB2 (DRA).
There are many facets to this plan that need consideration included
upgraded wiring and cabling for a 60's era building.

These are the issues the Library is currently looking at:
	1. thin clients vs Pentium II or III
	2. lease vs purchase of PC's, equipment
	3. cat 5 or better
	4. 10/100 NIC
	5. download options for PC's or thin clients
	6. antivirus and security software
	7. power - as in electricity for a 60's era building
	8. training
	9. physical security of equipment

Riverside Public Library is also looking to upgrade the four client
(486's) LAN system that runs with a 486 server, 2x CD towers, Win 3.11,
and Novell 4.  This system provides much needed reference from purchased
databases. Most, if not all, of the databases are available via Web. One
of the most used databases, American Business Disk, will no longer be
available in DOS format as of this fall. The upgrade for the LAN will
probably take place sooner that the above mentioned technology plan but
should fold in smoothly. Did I mention limited staff and funding?

Thanks for all your help,
Sandra L. Eckert, Internet Librarian
Riverside Public Library
sandy_cld at riverside.lib.ca.us