[WEB4LIB] Re: Telnet URL update

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri May 28 13:29:43 EDT 1999

At 09:34 PM 5/27/99 -0700, Walt Howe wrote:
>Dan, let me add another consideration to this discussion. One of the things
>that can be tracked by web sites is the previous URL visited. After logging in
>to a telnet site with a URL that includes the username and password, will the
>next site visited be able to recover the complete URL, including the username
>and password?

I don't know the answer to that.  And, for my application, I don't
care.  If you try telnet://catalyst.boisestate.edu/  (our telnet version of
our catalog) it requires a password of catalyst to log you in.  That word
is on the screen, but people don't understand it.  Most likely we'll add
some more explanatory text like MIT does:  telnet://library.mit.edu/   I
guess if MIT patrons need that explanation, I shouldn't be surprised that
Boise State patrons do.  o-)

You can be sure that I'd never bury a "real" login and password that
allowed any significant access in a URL anywhere.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165