Libweb milestone, reorganization, birthday

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue May 25 17:40:28 EDT 1999

Web4Libbies--

List subscribers have in the past been tolerant of me announcing
milestones in the growth of Libweb, the directory of library home pages
<URL:http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Libweb/>.  With the addition of the St.
Albans (Vermont) Public Library this afternoon, Libweb now lists 3000
library web sites, from over 90 countries.

Some of the more sprawling sections of Libweb have been substantially
reorganized; the lengthy lists of U.S. academic and public libraries, and
European libraries, are now broken out into smaller state and regional
lists.

There are now five official Libweb mirrors: two each in the U.S. and
Europe, and one in Thailand.  There are directions on the site for setting
up a mirror on your own site; it's a simple process, and I'm sure Roy
relishes any hit that doesn't chew up SunSITE bandwidth.

Libweb is also celebrating its fifth birthday.  I rashly announced its
availability on May 26, 1994, on the fledgling Web4Lib list.  I will
forego the cheesy 16-color animated GIF of a birthday cake with flickering
candles.  :->

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu