[WEB4LIB] Internet Explorer and Y2k

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue May 25 08:01:05 EDT 1999

> This is as close a list I know of that deals with browsere so here goes.
> I ran a test on my computer Friday night, and the Internet Explorer
3.02A
> is not y2k compatible.  If you use it, consider upgrading.

Microsoft actually makes it pretty easy to determine which versions of
their products they claim to be Y2K-compiant.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/year2k/product/product.asp provides a
list of their products; for IE, you'll need either 4.0x (possibly plus
some additional downloads) or 5.0.  3.0x can be made compliant on some
platforms and in some language versions.

Internet Explorer (32-bit) 3.XX (English) - 32-Bit Win Compliant*
Internet Explorer 3.XX (English) - 16-Bit Win Compliant*#
Internet Explorer 3.XX (English) - Mac Not Compliant

Legend of Symbols:
* The product is compliant. User action is recommended, which may include
# The product is compliant with an acceptable deviation from Microsoft's
standard of compliance. An acceptable deviation does not affect the core
functionality, data integrity, stability or reliability of the product.

Netscape has comparable ifnormation.
http://home.netscape.com/products/year2000/readiness/clientstatus.html
says that versions 2.02 through 4.51 are compliant, but many of those
versions include Java components which are not compliant.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu