[WEB4LIB] Re: Library webmaster's software-which programs

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Thu May 20 09:19:46 EDT 1999

At 04:52 AM 5/20/99 -0700, Gary E. Masters wrote:
>At 01:49 AM 5/20/99 -0700, sean dreilinger wrote:
> with this observation: in the early days of electricity,
>>companies ran their own power plants (web servers) and hired their own
>>people (webmasters) to run them. we all delegate that to the electric
>>company (isp's) now.
>
>Not this is a possible way to go, however there is more change in a web
>page.  Electricity is the same, while the web master changes content and
>the page over a span of time.  Most webmasters also have other things to
>do.  I will wait and see.  It is really not the same.

Aye, the web defies an easy allegory, an easy metaphor.  Electricity is not
content, it gives the companies the means to produce, create content.  Web
pages, web presence, however, is content, it is a product, a creation, and
thus individualized.

TTFN,
David Merchant

Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University  <www.latech.edu/tech/library/>