[WEB4LIB] Library webmaster's software-which programs to learn?

sean dreilinger sean at savvysearch.com
Thu May 20 04:49:29 EDT 1999

welcome Joan & hola web4lib
[sorry for such a long $.03!]

Joan Graham wrote:
> This is my first post - hope it's on topic. Would like the list's
> opinion as to what programs and skills are essential to library
> webmasters. HTML and javascript, yes, but what about Flash, Fireworks,
> java, perl,  C++, stylesheets and XML....are they now being used on
> library websites? Will they be, in the near future?

you've already observed the challenge of careers built around specific
technologies - the ground will move out from under you!

from an interactive agency point of view (another career option if your
interests as an information professional aren't limited to traditional
libraries), there are several ways to divide the labor in web projects
-- from your question above (some standards and some specific languages
and tools) two web-work roles come to mind:

people who develop all-round competence in the standards, trends, and
*practical applications* of emerging technologies and existing
programming tools may be most appealing to hold long-term career
positions architecting information services and managing web / software
development projects for their organization. that person with wide-angle
abilities selects the appropriate technology for each project, each
time. this year choosing php with postgresql and apache, next year
perhaps picking zend with oracle and zeus. whatever is best for the
project at hand. the actual project construction may be outsourced to
match expertise, reduce costs and speed development.

people who specialize in one or more programming technologies or tools
(java, javascript, perl, python, php, cold fusion, asp, zope, photoshop,
dreamweaver, frontpage, et.al.) are very attractive as contract workers
and consultants. a library or company must be much larger to the have
division of labor and budget to support full-time language-specific
experts on staff. the new york times had an article on web farms
yesterday, with this observation: in the early days of electricity,
companies ran their own power plants (web servers) and hired their own
people (webmasters) to run them. we all delegate that to the electric
company (isp's) now. if you want to stay with a particular employer, a
role focusing on project design, management and outsourcing may provide
more job security.

smaller organizations tend to have a (few) generalist(s) who outsource
the actual development work as needed. i am amazed at the laundry list
of (occasionally  misspelt) programming languages and other superhuman
expectations front-loaded into `systems librarian,' `electronic
librarian,' and `corporate webmaestro' job descriptions.

if you prefer to specialize in a particular technology or tool, you can
probably make a bundle (pardon the capitalist suggestion here) as a
professional contract worker, taking a series of 3-12 month assignments,
letting a consulting firm (mactemps, stellcomm) handle your
administrivia (tax/retirement/healthcare) and sell your expertise to
companies in need.

> Second question: is there any survey or other data on job descriptions
> or salaries for library webmasters?

several non-library IT salary surveys are linked here, including web
jobs:
  http://www.cio.com/forums/itcareer/job_boards.html
  http://www.webjobsusa.com/wb_cfmfiles/salary/index.cfm

the web4lib list archives have plenty of position announcements:
  http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive.html

if you want to observe what the world at large demands from (and pays
for) a web expert, try a metasearch of current webmaestro openings:
  http://savvysearch.com/search?sortkey=listed&q=webmaster&cat=59

btw i am always curious to learn (on or off the list) how your
organization divides up the web-related work, position descriptions,
politics, continuing education, outsourcing, etc.

hth!

--sean

--
mailto:sean at savvysearch.com                sean dreilinger, mlis