Netscape and the QuickTime plug-in

Don Yarman yarmando at netra.clc.lib.oh.us
Fri May 14 08:47:33 EDT 1999

Dear Web4Lib folk--

I'm having a Star Wars Emergency:  my patrons can't access
the QuickTime trailers from starwars.com.  The error message
says, "The Plug-In could not load QuickTime for Windows," and
invites me to get QuickTime.  I'd already had QuickTime 3, and
I upgraded to QuickTime 4 to no avail.

This is with Netscape Navigator browser only, version 4.07.
The only security tweaking I've done is to set the bookmarks
and prefs.js to read-only.  (I didn't undo that when I upgraded
from 4.04; could that pose a problem?).

My entire reputation as a competent systems librarian rests
not on seemless access to a universe of authoritative data,
but on whether I can get six computers to play the Star
Wars trailers.

Trying to suppress the urge to declare, "You're my only hope,"
I remain your humble and obedient servant,

                         Don Yarman
                         Grandview Hts Public Library
                         yarmando at clc.lib.oh.us