multiple webserver visits by unidentified robot

Grace Garbe garbe_grace at dsmc.dsm.mil
Tue May 11 10:11:21 EDT 1999

Thanks to each of you who posted messages to the list regarding my request for information about the unidentified robot that had visited our site 24 times during a 12 hour period.
Our mail server was down for some time on the 4th, and I have not received any listserv mail since that time.  I just checked the archives and saw your postings.  BTW, Roy Tennant deserves a big hand for creating such well organized archives that are so easy to access.

As Nick Arnett points out, Exodus is a hosting service, and a recent article in the Washington Post stated that it is estimated that they host "...as much as 30% of the Web's heavily trafficked sites, including Yahoo, Lycos...." [Washington Post, Thursday, May 6, 1999, E4].   It appears my concerns were unfounded.

Thanks to all of you who helped put the pieces together, including those of you who wrote me off list.

Grace Garbe
Systems Librarian/Webmaster
Acker Library
Defense Systems Management College