More Alta Vista bafflement

George J. Janczyn gjanczyn at ucsd.edu
Mon May 10 17:35:55 EDT 1999

Another angle on the strange results coming from Alta Vista:

For a few years, I've used Alta Vista's 'hosts:' operator to search for
items at UCSD.  However, about a week ago, Alta Vista search results became
sparse and off the mark.  For example, the following search:

hosts:ucsd.edu schedule

previously turned up hundreds of items.  Now it turns up two items:  UCSD
baseball team information, and a course description.

That's doing the basic search.  When I changed my user preference to
tons of results but none from UCSD!

I wonder if something has gone wrong as Alta Vista retools for selling top
ranking search results to advertisers.

George J. Janczyn   Technical Services Automated Systems Manager
Geisel Library, University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, DEPT 0175K, La Jolla, CA 92093
619-534-1282       FAX: 619-822-0349
gjanczyn at ucsd.edu  http://tpot.ucsd.edu/