File Extensions

Eric (Eric Rogers) Eric at KCLIBRARY.ORG
Mon May 10 16:40:01 EDT 1999

Depending on your web server you could possibly set up .htm or .html as a
SSI files so that the server would parse all html files to look for
includes.  However, if you have a large website this could potentially slow
down your server.  Another option would be use one of the many log analysis
programs to analyze your log files.  You would get a much richer set of
statistics than just hits to the home page, plus you wouldn't have to rename
anything.

Eric Rogers
Internet Services Administrator
Kansas City Public Library
http://kclibrary.org
eric at kclibrary.org

I want to put a text-based "hit-counter" on our main page. The one that I
want to use is from Matt's Script archive. The problem is that it uses
server side includes. Thus, i'll have to use the .shtml extensions on the
home page.  My director won't approve of this, since most library patrons
remember the old .html extension. Question: do I really need the .shtml
extension? Are there other Perl scripts that would do it?