[WEB4LIB] AltaVista bafflement - "santa fe" "Santa Fe"

Tara Calishain calumet at mindspring.com
Mon May 10 12:44:07 EDT 1999

Man, this is REALLY wacky! I agree with Miriam; this is completely counter
to what I expected of AltaVista, given my understanding of how they handle
case-sensitive queries. I'm cc'ing this to the AltaVista support people.

I tried the same case queries with "Santa Ana" and "santa ana" which
gave me more normal results ( 47513 and  68648 respectively.) I also
tried "san francisco" and "San Francisco", which also gave me expected
results. Shaping the query as "santa fe" vs. santa;fe didn't make any
difference.

Miriam, I did notice that if I went to the AltaVista advanced query screen
( http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=aq&what=web&kl=en ) and
typed "santa fe" in the boolean query box, I got 303166 results. Typing
"Santa Fe" got 154768 results. That may be a good workaround, though
it doesn't explain why AltaVista is behaving this way.

Puzzled,

Tara