Subscriber removal

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Mon May 10 11:53:40 EDT 1999

Today I removed David Burt from Web4Lib for his second violation of the
Web4Lib Posting Policy that prohibits posting messages inappropriate to
the list. The message in question is:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9905/0175.html

which was completely on a controversy affecting another list. Previously
he had received a warning after violating the same policy with this
message:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9706/0362.html

which he admitted was off-topic when he posted it. I carefully considered
this decision (as perhaps you may realize given the delay), because I
wanted to make sure that I was enforcing list policy as I would for any
other individual, and not because of any difference of opinion I may have
with David Burt. I realized that to not enforce the policy would give him
special dispensation which has not been afforded any other list member
previously. Therefore, he goes.

I'd like to take this opportunity to be clear about the management of this
list. Although any number of you have pleaded with me over the years to
remove David Burt from this list, I refused to do so for any reason except
repeated violation of Web4Lib Policy. I will not remove anyone for
ideological reasons, for posting frequency, or indeed anything except
violation of stated policy. If the behavior of a subscriber seems to
warrant it, I will consider adding another policy to the five we have now.
If another policy is added, it will be announced on the list and
*everyone* will begin with a clean slate regarding that new policy.
Although I am the list dictator, you can be assured that I do not relish
booting anyone off this list. I do it with extreme reluctance. But I am
also determined to keep this list the valuable resource that it is, which
means enforcing some basic rules of behavior to protect the rights of the
community at large. These rules are basic enough, however, to allow for a
great deal of latitude regarding individual behavior -- as do the laws of
a free and just society.

The Web4Lib Posting Policy (always available at the Web4Lib web site at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib) is:

Posting Policy
interprets this rather

2. Advertisements are not appropriate. However, a simple statement that
offers a way to follow-up for more information on a service or product is
tolerated if it accompanies a substantive message discussing a subject
appropriate to the list. Announcements of conferences and workshops
appropriate to the topic of the list are allowed.

3. Virus warnings (not bug reports), are strongly discouraged, and ONLY
official CERT (http://www.cert.org/) or CIAC (http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/)
advisories are acceptable. In addition, before forwarding any virus
information you may wish to check Internet Hoaxes
(http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/h-05.shtml) and Virus Hoaxes
(http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html) for hoax information and how
to spot hoaxes.

4. Personal attacks such as name calling and personal insults will not be
tolerated. Comments that are intended only to enrage the recipient rather
than contribute to thoughtful discussion are prohibited.

5. All postings must be free of copyright restrictions that limit
distribution. For example, posting a significant amount of a copyrighted
work verbatim requires the permission of the copyright holder. To verify
that such permission was obtained, all postings of this nature must
include a statement that this is the case.

Please abide by it.
Roy Tennant
Web4Lib Owner