Certifying library staff in the use of technology

Mary Martin mmartin at fspl.lib.ar.us
Fri May 7 18:23:40 EDT 1999

Everyone,

Making sure that our library's staff is properly trained in the basics
of using library computers and applications has always been important to
me, but unfortunately, it doesn't always get done as well as I'd like it
to. We recently received several Gates computers and a couple of them
were put in the circulation area (currently the only place we have
room), where staff is not used to either using a computer, or helping
patrons with computer problems.

I have one staff member who has become very upset and claims she'd
rather retire than learn how to use these computers. I have other staff
members who don't know enough to correctly diagnose a simple problem, so
they don't even bother trying to help patrons, who end up getting the
frustrating message that they're on their own (unless I happen to be
walking by, in which case I help them).

Instead of rushing around trying to train people quickly and perhaps
haphazardly, or relying on one or two semi-technologically literate
people in each department, I'm starting to think that the best option
might be to create several levels of staff technology certification, and
provide short one-on-one training sessions, and follow-up exercises, so
that staff can successfully complete these certification levels. I am
hoping this will help them get comfortable with technology and with the
computer apps so that they can help patrons more efficiently.

Before I re-invent the wheel, I thought I would ask if anyone else has a
similar plan in place. If so, what are the requirements for
certification at each level? If you wouldn't mind sharing your
experiences and information, I would be very grateful. I have
cross-posted this message to Lib-NT and Web4Lib.

Thanks a lot for your help!
--
Mary C. Martin, Computer/Technical Services Librarian
Fort Smith Public Library