Netscape Shortcuts and Novell?

John Stemmer stemmer at xavier.xu.edu
Thu May 13 12:41:08 EDT 1999

Hello,

We have been setting up Netscape shortcuts to start Netscape on specific
pages (e.g. the OPAC or our Databases Page). We are using Windows95. But
with our newest build we are now getting an error message:

A Network Error Occurred:
unable to connect to server (TCP Error:)
The server my be down or unreachable. Try connecting later.

Once you click okay everything works fine. There is a tcp/ip connection.
The requested page does load (whether or not it is in the cache.) The
shortcuts work fine if Netscape is already opened; the error only appears
if the shortcut has to start Netscape. This does not happen on earlier
configurations of our machines. It happens with both Netscape ver 4.05 and
ver 4.51

One difference that we can think of is that we are using Novell's 3.1
network login. (Ver3.0 does the same thing, but 1.5 works fine.) We are not
convinced this is the problem, but can't think of anything else. Does any
one have any ideas what is causing this error? Are we overlooking something
really simple?
Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated!

John Stemmer

John K. Stemmer				3800 Victory Parkway
Electronic Services Librarian		Xavier University Libraries
(513) 745-4822				Cincinnati, OH 45207
stemmer at xavier.xu.edu			fax (513) 745-1932