[WEB4LIB] Re: Library home pages

Tami-Jo Eckley eckleyt at mville.edu
Thu May 13 11:39:44 EDT 1999

I think that the use of "library jargon" is an important one to keep in
mind.  However, speaking from an academic library, I believe students should
learn some of this jargon.  In a public library setting, it may be more
plausible to use less intimidating terms.  Another point:  Phrases like
"Electronic Resources" or "Periodical Holdings" may have clearer
alternatives but I am not so sure any library should be changing the word
"Catalog."  This is one word that any library user should learn.

Tami-Jo Eckley
Electronic Services & Media Librarian
Manhattanville College Library
Purchase, New York 10577