How to do a menu for library workstations?

Gary E. Masters GMASTERS at TAMIU.EDU
Tue May 4 11:14:48 EDT 1999

Our Director of Public Services, wants a menu system for our reference area
workstations.  Right now, we have icons in a Windows environment (protected
by Fortres) with extended descriptions under the icons.  I tried one with
the HP Desktop Administrator (formerly Norton Desktop Administrator) but it
would not load every time without problems.  Now we are testing a version
using the Novell Applications Launcher.  It loadw with NetWare and if you
connect you already have the ZEN connection.  It will map and unmap drives
and that is a bit plus with more database directories than letters in the
alphabet.  However, it is not pure text and is more like the Windows
environment that we have now.  Both Internet sources and server based
sresources are on the menu.

Does anyone know of a text based system that can be run over NetWare?  I
have been unable to locate one, and want to know that I have covered all of
the options.  If not a text based system, what can be made to look like a
text based system?  One very close would do.  We want lots of information
on screen to tell people what they have and how to use it.

What do you do for reference workstations?  We need to know what the world
is doing.

Thanks,

Gary Masters

Gary E. Masters