[WEB4LIB] RE: Candidates for _Beyond Bookmarks: Why LC & Dewey

Susan Rabe rabe at crlmail.uchicago.edu
Tue May 4 09:51:01 EDT 1999

Probably because it is an easy way to gather statistics for administrators.
 I work in a library that uses neither Dewey or LC but call numbers that
represent size and shelf sequence.  We are constantly asked "How much do
you have in [subject]?" which we cannot easily answer either for volumes or
titles.  We would be able to easily give title count if we used one of
these classification schemes, volumes would take a little more work but
could be done.  These type of questions are rarely asked by patrons.  They
are frequently wanted to compare one library's collection to another.  It
is probably the same for Web collections.

 At 07:25 AM 5/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a devil's advocate question in response to the request below: why is
>it a good thing to sort Web collections by Dewey or LC? Dewey or LC are
>useful for items that cannot be searched by keywords, but why is it
>necessary, other than the fact that the books have call numbers, to sort Web
>sites that way? Yeah, I know that Web sites are being assigned call numbers
>in many library catalogs, but is it necessary if keywording & assigning
>subject headings is done carefully? In a public library situation (where my
>experience lies) call numbers were a way to arrange things together on the
>shelf & that was about it. But Web sites have no "shelf" to sit on.
>
>This question may be so basic that it seems dumb, but I've watched students
>struggle with catalogs & call numbers for years, & when the Web came along,
>I was pleased with not having to assign Web sites a "location on the shelf."
>I'd love to see non-3D materials without call numbers & searchable by
>keywords/subject headings only. Just curious what Gerry & others have to
>say. Thanks, W
>
>------------------------------
>Walter Minkel
>wminkel at cahners.com * (212) 463-6721
>Technology Editor, _School Library Journal_

Susan M. Rabe
Special Projects Coordinator
Center for Research Libraries
6050 S. Kenwood Ave.