[WEB4LIB] Re: Docking Ports: Was Abandon Library Computer Labs

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 12:34:42 EST 1999

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Alma E. Garcia wrote:
> Here at Mills were have talked about providing this service for our
> students.  What we envision is network connections that students will plug
> their laptop to and connect to the campus network.  Our ITS department has
> suggested students receive training on connecting to the network;  they
> would also be assigned an IP address that they can use from any
> building on the campus.

Consider using DHCP rather than allocating students static IP addresses.
It makes the networking much easier if you get more than one subnet on
site and it also makes installing labs full of machines much quicker.
Works under 95, 98, NT and Linux that I know of, and possibly the Mac as
well (but I try not to have much to do with them if I can help it! :-) ).

Tatty bye,

Jim'll