[WEB4LIB] IE5.0 and AltaVista

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Sat Mar 20 19:56:14 EST 1999

At 04:29 PM 3/20/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I have discovered a difficulty with IE5.0 on two separate machines, one
>running on a network with a T-1 connection and one in a dial-up 56K
>environment.  The problem existed in the Beta version of 5.0.  The
>'release' version has not changed anything.
>
>I cannot connect to http://www.altavista.com with any machine on which
>I've loaded IE5.0.  The address is translated to an IP
>address.  "Connecting to site" shows up.  The connection then times out --
>every time.

I'd guess you have some other problem.  I just connected to it in a couple
seconds over 56K dialup to my ISP.  And, I'm using Win98 (upgrade), IE5
release version, nothing special.

>I've emailed the folks at AltaVista with my problem.  There has been no
>response.  This is one of those "Can someone confirm that I'm not nuts?"
>requests.  Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
I don't know if you're nuts or not, but I'm not having the problem.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165