[WEB4LIB] Re: abandon library computer labs for laptop

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Fri Mar 19 18:50:43 EST 1999

> >We are considering eliminating or drastically reducing the size of this lab
> >by offering laptops to "card carrying" patrons for check-out.  Has anyone
> >tried this?  What were the results?  What did you do about maintaining the
> >laptops?  Checking them out?  Security?
>
> I've just responded to her privately, suggesting that laptops are readily
> stolen basically no matter what you do, and that if she's really that
> interested in created small work areas, she should look into thin-client
> workstations and flat-panel displays.

Seems like a very bad idea to me (the checking out of laptops, that is, not
the thin-client flat-panel solution, which sounds better).  How many patrons
stiff you on $30 books each year.  Multiply that cost by 100.  Sure you have
their address now, but what happens when they graduate and move out of state
(taking that screaming PII 450 IBM ThinkPad with them as a 'graduation gift').

And as a patron, I wouldn't want to be responsible for the library's laptop.
If someone lifts it off my desk, or from my car or house, I'm the one that
going to have to cough up the $3000. (see my comment above about not wanting
to pay $30 for a lost/stolen book;  who's going to want to pay back $3000 for
a lost/stolen laptop).

The maintenance issue also seems like more trouble than it's worth.  You'd
probably want to 'rebuild' them each time they come back, to get rid of Quake
II and all the porno stuff, and to put back all the applications they deleted
to make room for Quake II and the porno stuff.

I think you'd be better off with just 'docking stations' where students could
plug in their own laptops.

- Darryl

   Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
   Consulting & Development                     http://gollum.usask.ca/
   Department of Computing Services                 163 Murray Building
   University of Saskatchewan                              Main Library