Thin clients for web OPACs

Ken McCracken aa175 at torfree.net
Fri Mar 19 11:20:34 EST 1999

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:16:56 -0800
> Subject: Thin clients for web OPACs
>
> We are planning for the migration of our OPACs from terminals to a web-based
> PC interface (probably about 15 nodes).  Only the web catalog will be
> accessed on the client -- no other electronic products, no access to the
> rest of the web.  Does anyone have experience in using a thin client
> solution for this application -- specifically a product like HP's NetVectra
> GT310?

In case people are considering "going Linux" in the future...

Not "productized" as a thin client yet, the Netwinder, a StongARM based
network machine, is being promoted as a ganged (10 at a time,
hot-swappable, with load leveling) webserver at the moment.  The
cash-strapped Corel Corp just sold this line to Hardware Canada Computing
maintaining a 25% interest in HCC. The following url refers to the DM, a
general purpose machine, aimed at Linux developers.  Eventually someone
will configure the Netwinder as a thin client.

   Linkname: Corel Computer - NetWinder DM

Ken McCracken
Toronto Freenet Info Resources