[WEB4LIB] Staffing situations in systems support

Brian Bell bellb at opl.on.ca
Tue Mar 16 16:24:59 EST 1999

Hello WEB4LIBbers,

I, like Coco Halverson, am investigating staffing situations in systems and
network support
divisions but in Public Library institutions - in case this should make any
difference.  I am looking for ratios such as number of systems support staff
to number of users (including number of
students/staff/faculty); number of systems support staff to number of
workstations, etc.

I'm writing from a public library with 4 branches serving a population of
approximately 130,000 and would be interested in data from institutions of a
similar size, but any info would be helpful.
We are running an Ameritech Dynix Classic system, a Novell LAN, CD ROM
networking, and, by the end of 1999, will have to support about 70 staff PCs
and close to 100 public PCs (mostly Internet and windows based OPAC capable).

Also, if anyone can recommend recent publications which deal with this
staffing question, specifically for systems and network support it would be
appreciated.  I'm a recent subscriber to this list so please forgive me if
I'm covering old ground.  If there is a FAQ you can point me to or a summary
that someone has done, I'll appreciate the help!

Thank you.
Brian Bell
Manager of Support Services
Oakville Public Library