[WEB4LIB] what kind of URL is this?

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Mar 9 18:19:56 EST 1999

> http://3508975004/

You can take any IP address and put it through the following formula

(a*256^3)+(b*256^2)+(c*256)+(d*1)

where a is the first # in the IP address, b the second, c, the third, d the
fourth.
where 256^3 is 256 cubed, 256^2 is 256 squared

Example:

199.45.145.1

199 * 16777216 = 3338665984
45 *  65536 =  2949120
145 * 256 = 37120
1 * 1 = 1

3338665984 + 2949120 + 37120 + 1 = 3341652225

Therefore http://199.45.145.1 = http://3341652225

Unfortunately, I don't know enough math to reverse the process, if it is
even possible.

One use for using an address such as this is to get around filters and
proxies.

             Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
         Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
              Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
                  www.bcr.org/~msauers
             The WWW Library Directory is @
             www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
          PGP Public Key available on request

     "Some say information should be free. It's not.
     Information is power. Information in currency."
                 --Billy Idol, Wasteland

  Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.