QUESTION: Merging of Acad.Library/IS Depts.

Irene Upshur or Bill Baratta online1 at erols.com
Sat Mar 6 06:15:33 EST 1999

I would appreciate any information regarding the following:

1.  What were the major problems when your Library and IS department
merged?
2.  Who were the key people involved in the merger--admin., faculty, a
group?
3.  Which constituency revealed the greatest resistance to the merger?
4.  Are all constituents of the merger in the same building or
buildings?
5.  Can you give a ballpark figure regarding costs:  cost of merger?
money saved, in long run?
6.  How many employees lost their positions or were transferred to other
areas of the university?
7.  Do you personally see the merger as an improvement? Which areas of
library service are the most improved? Which areas of IS are most
improved?
8.  Did the required skill level of employees go up or down as a result
of the merger?
9.  What title was given the Sr. Administrator post-merger? Is this Sr.
Admin. more of a "techie" or librarian? A blend?
10.  How long did it take you to complete the merger.

Assuming I get enough fresh, real-world information from the questions
above, I will prepare a report generated from these answers (as well as
other sources) and post them to this list.

Thank you,
Irene Upshur
Arlington, VA