MS Windows Terminal Server use in New England

Doug B. Payne dbp at bu.edu
Wed Mar 31 09:47:18 EST 1999

Hello all,

Here at Boston University we are considering using MS Windows
Terminal Server and Windows Terminals to replace our VT100
compatible (Wyse) terminals for access to our (soon-to-be)
web-based online catalog and the Internet.

These terminals would be placed in public locations throughout
the main library.

The newer (cheaper) licensing from Microsoft seems to make this
a more reasonable option than installing full pcs.  Plus -- the
decreased maintenance and support time sounds wonderful.

But -- I don't know of any local (New England) library that is
currently using MS Windows Terminal Server for public access
terminals, and I would like to see it in action before we commit
to the Terminal Server approach.  I am especially interested in
seeing a site that has focused on providing a web browser and
has succeeded in allowing browser plug-ins (does this require
the Citrix MetaFrame software?).

Does anyone know of a New England library that is currently
deploying MS Windows Terminal Server?

Thanks,

Doug Payne	Boston University - Mugar Library &
dbp at bu.edu	Boston University Office of Information Technology

Note:  I've cross-posted this msg to web4lib and libnt-l lists.