[WEB4LIB] videoconferencing in the Library

Keawe Vredenburg kevreden at ksbe.edu
Mon Mar 29 13:38:23 EST 1999

A likely problem is that videoteleconferencing is still being treated as
an "event", not a means of communication.  Although we have VTC links to
all our schools, the systems are located in places that are too
prominent, and are used only for major happenings.  I suspect that time
and technology will take the aura of "special" off our VTC systems and
in a few years, a conference will be more commonplace.  One
consideration is to democratize VTC with workstation cameras to get
regular folks familiar with the concept.  So long as VTC is something
where people think you need a makeup crew and participants think in
terms of "I'm going to be on TV!", it will be hard to get it used as a
favored alternative to e-mail and the telephone.

--

                        * * * D I S C L A I M E R * * *

The views described herein are the views of the author, and do not
represent the
views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate, nor is there any
approval
or authorization of this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha
Schools
Bishop Estate.  If you suspect that any of the material in this message
or
attachments thereto is in violation of a copyright, please notify the
Webmaster
immediately by e-mail at "webmaster at ksbe.edu".