[WEB4LIB] Re: FW: Important Article

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Mon Mar 29 11:54:06 EST 1999

While I agree with David, I had an interesting conversation with
someone at a union catalog recently.  They were testing search on
their catalog with a distributed Z39.50 search on the individual
catalogs.  The union system did a whole lot better, partly because a
lot of the identification and rationalization issues were worked out
during the merge rather than as query or post-process on the search.

Having both local and union catalogs, while not cheap, is probably
the most effective way to store and search the information.

Avi

At 2:53 PM -0800 3/28/1999, David Merchant wrote:

> >The solution is the same one that Bezos came up with for Amazon: 1) Do away
> >with the local catalog; 2) Build a global catalog
> >that allows patrons to search all the material in the local collection PLUS
> >the 40+ million items available through ILL in the OCLC
> >Worldcat database, and, because the OCLC database doesnít pick up everything
> >in print, toss in the 3 million items from the
> >Amazon database for good measure. (Weíll talk about how you might deliver
> >those non-OCLC titles in a bit).

<snip>