[WEB4LIB] Database listings on web pages

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 05:33:50 EST 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Tim Smith wrote:
> Has anyone come up with a simple, good way to highlight the "best"
> databases or otherwise guide the user to those titles that will best meet
> his/her needs? At one point in the evolution of our database menu system,
> we had tried using a category "Major Databases" to highlight certain
> databases on our subject-based submenus, but this proved to be unpopular,
> and was therefore eliminated.

Have you taken a look at Leeds University Library LASER?  Its at
<URL:http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/laser/> and provides browsable
listings of resources in various views (A-Z, general interest, by subject)
and its also searchable.  They point to CD-ROMs, e-journals and other
electronic resources that the Library thinks will be useful to their staff
and students.

I must admit that I do have an interest in this as it uses the ROADS
software that I helped to write underneath it
(see <URL:http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/roads> for more info on that).  ROADS
is GPLed Open Source Software so you can just download it and play with
it.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll