[WEB4LIB] Outsurcing web design: some problems

Josh Kuperman sar_kuper at sals.edu
Mon Mar 15 10:12:42 EST 1999

I think that any professional web designer would check their web pages with more than one browser. Ideally, they would also check their sites with a text browser like Lynx. One mechanism that I would suggest is insisting on correct HTML by insisting that the web pages validate according to the HTML standards.

Take a look at http://validator.w3.org. While this will not guarantee that the page will look good. Validating the page will eliminate the features that are browser specific. There are still features that none of the popular browser handle correctly.

Also, you may want to check out:

http://www.cast.org/bobby/ which will check your web pages accessibility for people with disabilities.

http://www.anybrowser.org which is a web site dedicated to the idea that web design should be independent of the viewers browser.

Finally, _The HIP Pocket Guide to HTML 3.2_ marks the idiosyncratic html of MSIE and NetScape so it can be avoide. The guide to HTML 3.2 is the one I'm using at the moment, but I assume the one for HTML 4.0 continues this useful feature.

--
Josh Kuperman        Saratoga Springs Public Library
sar_kuper at sals.edu   49 Henry St