[WEB4LIB] Web Server Inquiry

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Mar 10 18:17:48 EST 1999

At 02:44 PM 3/10/99 -0800, Eric Nudell wrote:
>We are looking for a web server in the $12,000 range. We have narrowed
>our list to the following three servers -
>
>        Dell PowerEdge 6300
>        Gateway ALR 9200
>        Micron NetFRAME NF6201

We run O'Reilly Website under NT4 on similar boxes....one is an earlier
model of Micron and others are HP.  Servers from either one are built like
battleships and have caused no problems in years of service.  All new
computers we've bought in the last six years are Microns (except for some
HP servers and a Sun Enterprise 3000), and they just run forever.

HP and Micron both have good support, should you need it, though you
probably won't.  Of course for twelve grand you should get a really loaded
box with all the goodies.  Consider hot swappable disks, RAID, two
processors, and more RAM than you ever think you'll need.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/