[WEB4LIB] Re: Report Uncovers Epidemic of Children Viewi

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Sun Mar 7 23:53:05 EST 1999

At 01:26 PM 3/5/99 -0800, Nick Arnett wrote:
>I appreciate the pointers and feedback -- really, I do.  But I was thinking
>more about the need for the public to recognize why we should be investing
>much more into libraries these days than the actual existence of non-profit
>indexes and such.  When we get to the point where it is a routine part of
>every library (at least the larger ones) to catalog Internet resources,
>then I'll be satisfied, I guess.
I think you'll find, Nick, that most folks in your community, whatever that
is, don't give a darn about the library cataloging stuff on the net.  Yes,
many of us librarians care, but many of our colleagues are also vigorously
opposed, seeing it as a bottomless pit and/or unnecessary.  When it gets
down to taxpayers or students putting up money, you'll find that most will
want whatever is cheapest.  In fact, a great many would cut back library
budgets if they could.....after all, we're not as important as the police
or fire departments, repairing highways, and even bringing back grizzly
bears or salmon (favorite ones here in Idaho).

Finally, the general public is so used to advertising in the newspaper,
magazines, radio, and television, and even on videotapes that they rent or
purchase, that it just doesn't bother them.  Plus, several of the search
engines are marketing themselves in other media, to say nothing of Internic
and other "geek services".   After all, ya gotta get your "dot.com".

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/