Open Source Directories

Sarah Jones sajones at cyberramp.net
Fri Mar 5 15:23:21 EST 1999

Actually, there's already an open source directory in the works at
http://dmoz.org/  This is the Open Directory Project, formerly
NewHoo and then bought by Netscape back in November and
folded into mozilla.org.

It started last June as GnuHoo, is non-commercial, and currently
has 7783 volunteer editors and 382,155 listings. Although the basic
directory structure was started by the originators, the development
and organization of the structure is an on-going collaborative effort
of those volunteer editors. Personally, I am finding it a fascinating
project to watch, as interested and even empassioned internet
users work to create a user-centered public resource and behind-
the-scenes editors' tools. For an article on the project, here's a link
to a San Jose Mercury News piece:
http://www.sjmercury.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg020799.h
tm

--Sarah
University of Texas at Arlington Libraries