[WEB4LIB] Re: Academic Library Web Pages

Lynn Eades beades at med.unc.edu
Tue Mar 2 10:22:22 EST 1999

This has been a very interesting discussion!  I was just named WebManager last year.  Previously a support staff member put together the site and maintained it.  Shortly before he left a web committee was formed to oversee the web site.  It is made up of
representatives from different departments who are in charge of updating their pages.  The chair of the committee is in charge of publicity for the library. There are times when this works well and times when it doesn't.  We do have our own server, but we do respect
the guidelines put out by the University.

I also serve on the Library Web Committee for the main campus libraries.  Here at UNC-CH, there are three separately administered libraries.  I am at Health Sciences, which reports to the Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs.  The Law Library reports to the Dean of the
Law School.  The other 15 libraries, which are called collectively the Academic Affairs Libraries, report to the Dean of Libraries.  This committee is in the process of putting up new pages for the libraries web site (Academic Affairs).  This has been a real
challenge, since you really have to watch the political battles that may arise.  Even putting together an alphabetical list of libraries was a challenge!  The Academic Affairs Libraries do have guidelines for the web sites that are hosted on their server.  The
committee is also working to revise these guidelines, which I may revise more for our use.

I am keeping all these messages from this discussion.  I hope they can be a backup to any further discussions of what should happen with our web site.

Lynn
--
B. Lynn Eades
Distributed Learning Librarian/WebManager

Phone: (919) 966-8012
Email: beades at med.unc.edu