[WEB4LIB] Academic Library Web Pages

Jim Harold jharold at dec.cdie.org
Tue Mar 2 09:45:09 EST 1999

Good Morning ....

For those of you in a more restrictive web environment, you might be interested in viewing the US Dept of Education standards, first reported to this list by Elisabeth Roche ("Fwd: Dept of Educ WWW Server Standards & Guidelines", Tue, 23 Jul 1996 15:47:34 -0700).

Although the guidelines are written for a government setting, they might provide a framework for you to work within in when dealing with other administrative units within your institution's bureaucracy.

The current revised edition, "World Wide Web Policy and Procedures" is available online at:

     http://www.ed.gov/internal/wwwstds.html

in PDF, MS Word 6.0, and ASCII text versions.

I hope this has been of help.

Jim Harold
USAID Development Experience Clearinghouse
(operated by LTS Corporation)
1611 N Kent St Ste 200
Arlington VA 22209-2111 USA
jharold at dec.cdie.org
+1 703-351-4006 x109
+1 703-351-4039 fax
http://www.dec.org

>>> Tami-Jo Eckley <eckleyt at mville.edu> 03/01/99 04:40PM >>>

I would like to know if any of you are completely in charge of what goes
into your Home Page/Site or if you need to be consistent with the rest of
the college's site.  Do you need to answer to the college's Webmaster or
does the library have autonomy.  I would really appreciate input on this
since we are currently undergoing major change at Manhattanville
College, and at present, we must answer to the College Webmaster.

Tami-Jo Eckley
Electronic Services & Media Librarian
Manhattanville College Library
Purchase, NY 10577