[WEB4LIB] Pentium II or Celeron or ...

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Jun 21 22:35:39 EDT 1999

Gary Masters makes a good point with lots of memory.  IIIs new
Millennium package is JAVA intensive from what I've been told and the
memory factory is the key element rather than _brand_ of processor,
although a fast processor would be preferred also.  We have ordered DELL
Pentium II 350mhz with 128 Mbytes of memory so not to be caught short
and due to a favorable fiscal year of funding.

Thomas

Olga Verbeek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are a III library getting ready to move up to their Millennium
> products. III's advice for their circ. and serial modules is a PC with a
> Pentium II (133 MHZ or better >300 MHz) chip and 64 Mbytes of main memory.
> Instead of the Pentium II, how about the Celeron chip or some other chip
> on the market. Usually they are more reasonably priced than the Pentium
> II. Both the Pentium and the Celeron use the P6 architecture. Mostly I
> guess I am after performance, which combinations give "equal" performance?
> where are the trade-offs? etc.
>
> Anyone have any comments or advice?
>
> --Olga

> Olga Verbeek                        email: verbeeko at salve.edu
> Information Systems Librarian         tel: (401) 847-6650 ext 2281
> McKillop Library                      fax: (401) 846-8126
> Salve Regina University               web: http://library.salve.edu
> Newport RI 02840

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine