[WEB4LIB] Re: Creating an icon

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jun 21 12:10:43 EDT 1999

Another .ico issue that I haven't seen mentioned on the list.

IE5 has an interesting/annoying/bad habit of requesting a file named
"favicon.ico" (annoying or bad, as this may generate a lot of 404 errors
in your log files).  It will look for a file cited in a <link
rel="shortcut icon" href=..."> link, then for favicon.ico in a document's
directory, then for favicon.ico in the server's document root.  If, in any
of those locations, it finds a 16x16, 16-color icon file, it will use that
icon next to the document's title in the favorites list if you bookmark
it, and may put it next to the URL in the location bar when you visit it.

IMO, it's a rather presumptuous feature in IE5 that will fill up a lot of
log reports with unnecessary 404 errors, but it can be a moderately
helpful way to help your site stand out in users' favorites lists.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu