[WEB4LIB] nspr:winsock ???

Robert J. Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Wed Jun 16 20:34:58 EDT 1999

Gary Giannelli wrote:

> I just installed Netscape 4.05 on a few public terminals.  When I launch
> the program from a WinU menu with a url preconfigured, I get an
> NSPR:WinSock screen.  The screen looks almost the same as the regular
> Netscape screen except it's blank.  If I do an alt tab, I get to the real
> screen, the one I was aiming for.  Netscape 3.0 worked fine.

Gary, I encountered this problem with WinU
and Netscape 4.5 and traced it on those
systems set to "force programs to run in full
screen mode."  Deselecting this WinU option
then running N4.5 cured it.  The problem
after this, is that Netscape windows launch
as "restored" (not maximized), and so may be
the last window size a user had it at upon
the last program exit.  Furthermore, there
is this other problem that arises with
a non-maximized Netscape hovering over a
WinU menu screen: if the user clicks on the
WinU screen, that screen comes forward and
Netscape looks like it's disappeared.  An
ALT/TAB back to Netscape cures it most of
the time, but this is not apparent to new
users or staff members not used to switching
apps in that manner.  In spite of this, the
unchecked full screen mode seems to be the
best solution against this.

Hope that helps.  Take care.

Robert

rjtiess at warwick.net