[WEB4LIB] Outgoing Security

Denise Snoe dsnoe at tscpl.lib.ks.us
Tue Jun 15 08:50:16 EDT 1999

> Date:          Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:32:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          "Paul H. Gray" <phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
> Subject:       [WEB4LIB] Outgoing Security

> I have seen many interesting Java Scripts etc to password protect files so
> people have to authenticate before they can get IN.
>
> I am looking for something that prevents patrons from getting OUT.
>
> We have a 'home page' that lists our policies.  At the bottom of that page
> is the notice that continued use of the system implies agreement with these
> policies -- along with a link that takes the user own to our menu page.
>
> Of course all a user has to do is type in a url in the destination box and
> move on.
>
> What my librarians would like is something that REQUIRED the user to click
> a 'Yes I agree' button before they could leave this page.  We are not
> necessarily interested in usernames or passwords -- just requiring an action.
>
> A related need here is for some way to cause Netscape after a specific
> period of inactivity and/or upon attempted closing to default to this
> 'rules' page so that we are doing all we can to be sure every user sees
> this page when they come to the station.
>
> We CAN'T be the only one working in this direction-
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Paul H. Gray
> Learning Resources Manager
> TCC Northeast Campus Library
> Hurst, TX 76054
> 817-515-6623

Originally these java scripts came from  Lance Lavery
<lance at NWRLS.LIB.FL.US>  http://www.nwrls.lib.fl.us/agree.html He
gave permission for use on the:    Library NT
<LIBNT-L at UTKVM1.UTK.EDU> Listserve but you had to figure out how to
get the scripts from the url

http:\\www.tscpl.org/library/kids/agree.html
is our version of the java script web page.

<HTML>
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="3;
URL=http://www.tscpl.org/library/kids/">

<script type="text/javaScript">
NewWindow = window.open('/library/kids/agree2.html',
'Agree','scrollbars=yes,titlebar=no,toolbar=no,directories=no,status=n
o,menubar=no,resize=no,height=screen.availHeight,width=screen.availWid
th,');</SCRIPT type="text/javascript"> </HEAD> </head> <body> &nbsp;

is the entire agree.html page it opens agree2.html in a locked down
window that just has a scrollbar and unfortunately the windows X
button in the corner. It then refreshs the browser to the index page
in that directory with   <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="3;
   URL=http://www.tscpl.org/library/kids/">

Agree2.html contains this java script

<HTML>
<HEAD>
   <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
   charset=iso-8859-1"> <META NAME="Author" CONTENT="Jennifer Dalton">
   <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Mozilla/4.05 [en] (Win95; I)
   [Netscape]"> <TITLE>TSCPL Kids Connection Safety Agreeement</TITLE>
<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">

  var OnTop = true;
              function ChangeOnTop()
              {
                      <SCRIPT type="text/javascript">

  var OnTop = true;
              function ChangeOnTop()
              {
                      <SCRIPT type="text/javascript">

  var OnTop = true;
              function ChangeOnTop()
              {
                      <SCRIPT type="text/javascript">

  var OnTop = true;
              function ChangeOnTop()
              {
                      <SCRIPT type="text/javascript">

  </HEAD>

Which Basically makes sure the window stays on top until it is dealt
with either with answering the from part of the page or by clicking
the windows X in the corner.   Java doesn't allow negative window
placement so you can even hide the X.

Body contains the onBlur="FocusMe()  to keep  track for the button
being pressed on the form and the button action itself  which is
 <CENTER><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><FONT
SIZE=+1>&nbsp;</FONT></FONT><INPUT TYPE="button"
  VALUE="I AGREE" onClick="self.close()"></CENTER>
to close the window.

Denise Snoe
dsnoe at tscpl.lib.ks.us
Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library
1515 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS   66604-1374

Voice (913) 231-0569  Fax (913) 233-2055

Standard Caveats apply