Netscape as 'shell'

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Mon Jun 14 23:43:43 EDT 1999

Hagen Amen explained about Runapp:

>I use it here at Multnomah County Library and it works great.

...and I started using it after he suggested it on LIBNT-L, and it's wonderful.
If you combine it with automatic logon, it will restart the program of your
choice (I'm using it for MSIE) when patrons close it, and if they log off the
machine it will return to service without staff intervention.

One other effect is that the Start Menu and the Taskbar go away, and you don't
see any desktop icons (including My Computer).  I had mine secured anyway, but
you should know about this in case you wanted to have other software in the
menu.  This does not interfere with programs called by the shell - your browser
will still be able to run Adobe Acrobat, Quicktime, etc.

I used to have a shortcut to a public folder so users could save to the hard
disk, but with the browser as a shell I don't see any way for them to get to
their files.

Thanks to Hagen for alerting us to this marvelous free resource!

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org